Binchotan Charcoal Water Filter
Binchotan Charcoal Water Filter reduces chlorine and eliminates bad taste from tap water. Of Japanese origin, Binchotan has been, for centuries, the most ecological alternative to filter your daily consumption of water.
Ideal for any jar or bottle, it will help you to eliminate bottled water.
Features of Binchotan Charcoal Water Filter:
- Binchotan charcoal (or 'white charcoal') has been use by the Japanese as a water purifier since the 17th century.
- It is made of oak, specifically ubame oak (Quercus phillyraeoides).
- It is a renewable product as it is produced from tree branches of sustainably managed forests.
- How is it made? The branches are placed in a kiln and charred at a quite low temperature for some time, then, at the end of the process, the kiln temperature is raised to about 1000 Cº to make the wood red-hot. The charcoal is then removed and quickly covered with a special powder made from earth, sand and ash, and this gives the charcoal surface a whitish hue (explaining the name 'white charcoal'). The rapid rise in temperature, followed by a rapid cooling, incinerates the bark and leaves a smooth, hard surface.
- How does it work? The surface of the Binchotan charcoal is very porous with tiny cavities oriented in many directions. Just 1 gram has a surface area in excess of 500 m2 (about one tenth the size of a football field). It is also known as active carbon as the ions of contaminants are attracted to the surface of the carbon, where they will be held.
- How long will it last? They will begin to lose their effectiveness around 3 months.
- Binchotan is renowned for its ability to soften water, balance the pH, add good minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium back into the water which enhances its taste and health benefits, and absorb unwanted tastes and odours, such as chlorine.
- It does not absorb fluoride contained in tap water.
- When you have finished using your binchotan as a water filter, it still has many secondary uses. For example, you can break it up and put it in your house plants, it will add nutrients to the soil that will help the plant to grow. It also can be used as a deodoriser to remove unwanted odors in your cat litter, bin or shoes. Binchotan is also a very good moisture absorbent, and can help absorb humidity in the air if placed in a wardrobe.
- It is sais that it can also be useful as electromagnetic wave protector by placing it between the user and the electronic device since it helps to clean the air.
How to use Binchotan Charcoal Water Filter:
- We recommended to use glass or stainless steel jars or bottles.
- Before using, rinse the charcoal sticks under running water and gently brush to remove excess ash.
- Bring a pot of water to boiling point, add the charcoal sticks to the water and allow to boil for 15 minutes in total changing the water twice. The charcoal is now ready to use!
- Before first use, watch our video!
- Then find all our tips in our blog post.
- Fill with drinking (potable/driking) tap water.
- Wait for the charcoal to filter chemicals between 4 and 8 hours (overnight is ideal), but you will taste the difference after just one hour. Then, enjoy great tasting water!
- Please do not use with flavoured cordials, fruit infusions or tea.
- Occasionally you will notice tiny particles / fragments of the charcoal in the water, but do not be alarmed as it will do you no harm if you swallow them (active charcoal tablets are prescribed to treat diarrhoea, digestion and flatulence).
How to Care of Binchotan Charcoal Water Filter:
- Please do not wash with detergent or soap.
- The sticks should be reactivated by boiling every 2-3 weeks.
- They will begin to lose their effectiveness around 3 months of use and should be replaced.
Dimensions of Binchotan Charcoal Water Filter:
Size Small <1 litro
- Length: 6-12 cm. aprox.
- Diameter: 1-2,5 cm. aprox.
- Weight: 30-50 gr. aprox.
Size Medium 1-2 litros
- Length: 10-17 cm. aprox.
- Diameter: 1,5-3 cm. aprox.
- Weightso: 60-80 gr. aprox.
Size Large 2-3 litros
- Length: 17-23 cm. aprox.
- Diameter: 2-4 cm. aprox.
- Weight: 90-110 gr. aprox.
Size XL Extra Large >3 litros
- Length: 19-25 cm. aprox.
- Diameter: 2-4,5 cm. aprox.
- Weight: >120 gr. aprox.
Small charcoal bits up to 1,5 litre
- includes an assortment of charcoal pieces of various sizes (3 to 6 bits)
- Total wieght 60 gr
- Purify until 1,5 L of water
- Same use as the other sticks
Made in Kōchi Prefecture, Japan.
This product is supplied in bulk, within a paper bag.
Other products in the same category: